Monday, September 8, 2008

Homicidal oven

My oven tried to kill me last night...it felt kind of like a scene out of Final Destination.

I was broiling some chicken for dinner, and unloading the dishwasher while it cooked, when all of the sudden there were blue sparks coming at me and a really loud buzzing noise that sounded kind of like the garbage disposal. I screamed bloody murder because it scared me half to death, which of course scared Glenn half to death from upstairs in the office. It stopped very shortly thereafter and the whole oven just died. Thankfully I wasn't touching it when it decided to self-destruct, and it didn't set a fire or anything either. But man, my heart almost jumped out of my chest in the process!

So now I have to figure out how to fix an oven. From Googling "oven blue sparks" I found out it was probably the element blowing out, and hopefully it will be an easy fix. While I'm not the greatest chef in the world by any stretch of the word, it's a pain not to have an oven, stove, timer or clock in the kitchen! :P

3 comments:

LeShayne said...

LOL, since you're ok I can laugh right? Glad you survived the deadly blue sparks. Hope its an easy (and cheap) fix. The oven's new when you built right?

Jenni said...

Yes, you can laugh. It is definitely more funny looking back on it than it was when it happened! When we were up in Kansas City, our oven actually shocked me when I was putting a cookie sheet in, so I don’t have a good track record with ovens in general! Maybe we just need to eat out every night. :)

Anonymous said...

I love that the search term "oven blue sparks" actually yielded the desired results.