Monday, March 31, 2008

Baby steps

Did you notice that Google went dark on Saturday? The whole screen was black, with the message, "We've turned the lights out. Now it's your turn." When I clicked to learn more, I read about Earth Hour. Here's a quick summary: "On March 29, 2008, at 8 p.m., join millions of people around the world in making a statement about climate change by turning off your lights for Earth Hour, an event created by the World Wildlife Fund."

So the McKay household participated in Earth Hour from 8 - 9 pm. Glenn and I were just getting back from Publix at 8, and unloaded our groceries with only the little light over the stove on. And for dinner, we lit some candles, sat down at the dining room table like civilized people, and had a quiet, romantic meal, which we don't do often enough.

While I realize that one hour does not constitute a real difference in a much bigger problem, it was nice to be a part of something that was happening around the world to acknowledge that a larger issue was at hand. And while I wish I had the resources to make bigger changes, I'll continue to try and make small differences in the way I "behave" toward the environment.

I did just turn off my desk light since the Florida sunshine is providing enough light for me to work by. Baby steps, right?

1 comment:

LeShayne said...

You've been tagged...see my blog for details.