Sunday, February 10, 2008

When the cows come home

Our townhouse is located right on the border of Pasco and Hillsborough counties, in a huge community, yet still in the "boonies." We're in Pasco, and our backyard is literally in Hillsborough. Our backyard also happens to be a beautiful pasture, and it has been that way since we moved in over three years ago. We were some of the first people to move in to our neighborhood when it was under construction. They hadn't even put the streetlights in yet. So at night, we would sit out on our back porch in the complete darkness, and the cows would be out in the pasture beyond. It was so dark you couldn't see them, only sensing dark shadows and listening to them ripping the grass out of the ground. It was so peaceful, and we loved our "pet" cows.

But this was in the middle of the real estate boom, and we knew that sooner or later the pasture would go away and be replaced by more cookie cutter homes. One day the cows went away and didn't come back, and we were very sad. Then they built a road alongside the pasture. And surveying trucks were driving around measuring and putting little flags up everywhere.

But then the bubble burst, as they like to say, and development has slowed to a halt. One day a few months ago, the cows came back. I literally ran screaming in to wake Glenn up to tell him about it because I was so excited. But it turns out they'd just broken through the fence and were gone again the next day.

So when I looked out the window yesterday and saw the cows again, I was cautiously optimistic. And guess what? They're back again today. As I type, there is a big black and white cow just on the other side of my fence, and I can hear her ripping the grass from the ground. I'm hoping that whichever developer had purchased the land has now sold it back to the farmer who owned it before, and that our peaceful pasture will be around for years to come. I guess we'll see!


And here are a few more pictures since I don't post them often. One from the family lunch I talked about the other day, and a couple of cute ones of my kitties. No LeShayne, they are not dressed up this time, that was a one time deal! :)



The lovely Zoey

The loveable Kenny

And of course the lovely belly of Bailey

My wonderful "coworkers"


1 comment:

LeShayne said...

Those are some sweet coworkers! And they're cute when they're not dressed up too!

The cow thing cracks me up completely...who would have ever thought leather pant/sparkly urban Jenni would be so excited about a cow!

Love ya!